This course is for anyone involved in arboriculture, forestry, horticulture, landscaping and grounds maintenance who is required to operate Wood Chippers.
- Produce a site specific Risk Assessment for wood chipping operations
- State the principles of HSE legislation and safety guidelines for using a woodchipper
- Select the appropriate PPE and state the maintenance requirements
- Carry out operator checks and identify the safety features of a woodchipper
- Carry out routine operator maintenance
- Inspect and identify defects on the blades
- Prepare machine prior to operation, start the machine, carry out safety checks and stop machine.
- Prepare a work area and a range of materials for chipping and identify hazardous materials not to be chipped
- Use approved techniques to chip woody brash and both short and long sections of timber safely and effectively
- State the procedure for removing blockages
- State the safety and environmental factors associated with the disposal of woodchips and the various end uses of woodchips
- Prepare machine for transport and storage
- 1 day leading to Lantra or NPTC Certification